Johannes Nambala and Ananias Shikongo with guide Even Tjiviju need to compete in these events to secure a good position on the rankings for Tokyo2020. It's also important to gain competition spirit for the World Championships.
The World Para Athletics Grand Prix series have nine events scheduled to take place around the world until April 1 2020.
Why the need for participation in competitions?
According the IPC qualification rules the top six (6) ranked athletes of each Individual medal event will obtain one (1) qualification slot for their respective NPC. World Para Athletics will establish a 12- month Qualification Ranking from 1 April 2019 to 1 April 2020 for each of the Individual medal events on the Tokyo 2020 Event Programme. That means our athletes have to perform on the international competitions to obtain a position on the ranking list.
Ranking T11 Ananias Shikongo
- 100m in 0:11.26 sec (Gold Coast, AUS) : 5th position
- 200m in 0:23.56 sec (Utrecht, NED) : 4th position
- 400m in 0:51.96 sec (Berlin, DEU) : 4th position
Ranking T13 Johannes Nambala
- 100m in 0:10.98 sec (Utrecht, NED) : 5th position
- 200m in 0:21.78 sec (Bloemfontein, RSA) : 3th position
- 400m in 0:49.73 sec (Berlin, DEU) : 1st position
* Official IPC ranking; period from 01-01-2018 to 31-12-2018